Friday, February 3, 2012

Why do we cry?


Because it hurts so much. This pain in our chests, and in the back of my head, that just won't go away. 

Because the house is too quiet. I don't hear your sounds - that melody of conversation, clicks, spinning motors and television. 

Because I wish there was more time. I wish I could have said good-bye. But you wouldn't let me. Because "good-bye" means giving up. And you never gave up. 

Because words aren't enough. Even though we talk about it, write about it, and share how we feel. Words aren't enough. Some things can only be said through sobs and tears. 

Because I can't hold it in any more. As long as I've know you, I've wanted to shake my fist and scream at the universe, "Why?!" And today is the culmination of all my fears. 

Why do we cry? Because it hurts so much.

Why do we cry? Because it was good. 

Because we were such good friends. We can never again play games, see movies, watch TV, go to concerts, or talk about current events. Because we had some great times, some amazing adventures, some wonderful laughs...some great times. 

Because we spent hours together - at home, on the road, in other states, doing work, having fun. Because we shared life together. 

Because you taught me so much. How to humbly serve and be patient. How to enjoy the simple things. And how to be strong. You showed me strength like I'll never see again. 

Because we loved. We loved each other, and we loved life. Because your life, short as it was, contained more fullness than most will every know. 

It hurts, because your life was so good. And we cry because it hurts, and because it was good. 

No comments: