Friday, June 7, 2013

Poetry


For the last few months, I've grown more of an interest in poetry. Every since high school, there were a select few poets that I loved - John Donne, for example, and of course Shakespeare. But mainly for the sappy, romantic qualities. They provided good sources of quotes to put in my future-wife's high school locker in order to convince her to go with me on a date that weekend. 

But lately, I've found a love for religious poetry, for reflective, contemplative and - what I have found to be - gripping poetry. When I try to explain this, either to others or myself, I can't find the words to describe why I am enjoying poets like Mary Oliver, Rilke, Rumi, or lately Marie Howe. 

But then I read these words from Stephanie Dowrick: 

"The heart is dangerous territory to enter and difficult to leave. Heading in that direction it is, again, not change ins ome external sese that is risked ut transformation...This is the place of the wound and of healing; of abandonment and of reconciliation. Yet, to insist on this same point, what is a poem for if it is not potentially transformative? 

...Be earth now, and evensong. 
Be the ground lying under that sky.
Be modest now, like a thing
ripened until it is real,
so that he who began it all
can feel you when he reaches for you. (Rilke)

The reader is, or should be, shaken." 

No comments: